Ellis Island Immigration Station closed its doors for good on Nov. 12, 1954. More than 12 million immigrants passed through the station between 1892 and 1954. After 1924, the immigration station functioned primarily as a detention center. The Immigration and Naturalization Service vacated the island in 1954 and it remained largely abandoned for many years. In 1990, the National Park Service opened restored portions of the immigration station as a historic site and museum.
Last Updated: 16 November 2017 [Located in Category: Category 1 (PA)]